I am the author of Runway: Confessions of a not-so-supermodel, a chronicle of the six years I spent working as a high-fashion model in Paris, London, Tokyo and Milan in the late 80s and early 90s when Christy Turlington, Linda Evangelista and Naomi Campbell were refusing to get out of bed for less than $10,000 a day. (I got out for a lot less than that.)
I am also a freelance writer whose work has appeared most recently in The Rumpus, Mutha, San Francisco Magazine, 7×7, the San Francisco Chronicle, It’s So You: 35 Women Write About Personal Expression Through Fashion and Style, and Wake Up and Smell the Shit: Hilarious Travel Disasters, Monstrous Toilets and Demon Dildos.
I am a book editor who edits novels, memoir, and nonfiction.
I am a blogger who blogs about writing, editing, publishing, and social media.
I teach blogging, social media and editing classes at The San Francisco Writers’ Grotto and Book Passage in Corte Madera.
I have a BA in English from UCLA and an MFA in Creative Writing from Mills College.
I live in Berkeley, California with my husband, two kids, and two cats, one of whom has recently decided to start taking naps in her litter box.
Lesser-known Facts About Me
1. I am obsessed with making lists.
2. I rock climb.
3. I love peanut butter and all things nutty.
4. I love water—drinking in it, swimming in it, lounging in it. I’m a fish at heart.
5. Sometimes when I’m taking a shower, I forget whether I washed my hair and have to wash it again.
6. I love to play strategy board games like Settlers of Catan and Puerto Rico (current favorites: Kolejka and Dominion).
7. I’ve only had two beers in my life, and they were both disgusting.
8. I love to eat.
9. I’m a terrible gardener.
10. I’ve been skydiving, paragliding, surfing, scuba diving and rock climbing, but I’m happiest curled up in bed with a good book.